I have grown up with the sweet, spicy and herbaceous aroma of fresh coriander (also known as cilantro or Chinese parsley) wafting through the house at mealtimes. I know it’s great for lowering cholesterol and treating digestive issues, when taken internally.
However, it wasn’t till I was reading the label on Sunday Riley’s Juno Transformative Body Lipid Serum that it really struck me how this ancient spice is taking over the beauty world. Seriously, look around and you will see that it’s everywhere! Complexion perfecting masks, smoothing body oils, sleekifying shampoos, woody perfumes… coriander forms an integral part of all labels.
And there is a good reason behind it all. Plenty of good reasons.
Coriander, it turns out, is brimming with free radical destroying antioxidants, complexion-friendly minerals and skin boosting vitamin C. It’s also a potent anti-bacterial, antiseptic, anti-fungal, disinfectant, detoxifier and anti-inflammatory. Plus, it soothes and cools the skin. Time then to figure out what wonders this super-herb can work when used in a beauty recipe right at home. Quite a lot, it seems.
- Toss 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/4 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of chopped cucumber and 1 handful of fresh coriander into a food processor or blender
- Blend for about a minute, till the mixture starts looking smooth; spoon it out into a glass bowl
- Apply this mixture on your face and let it sit for 20 minutes or until hardened; then rinse
Good riddance to bad acne coriander treatment
- Add 1 teaspoon each of lemongrass, coriander and chamomile to a pan
- Add 1 cup boiling water and let it cool for an hour
- Pour the herbs and water in a blender and blend on high till it seems like a paste
- Apply this paste to cleansed skin for 20 minutes, then wash with warm water. End with a final splash of cold water
Refreshing rice & coriander face mask
- Combine a handful of fresh coriander (leaves and stems), 2 tablespoons plain yogurt and 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel in a blender or food processor
- Pulse until fully blended
- Combine the mixture with 1 tablespoon coconut milk powder, 1 tablespoon rice powder and 2 tablespoons white kaolin clay
- Apply the mask to clean skin, and allow to dry for 20 minutes; rinse and follow with your moisturizer
- Toss a handful of fresh, rinsed coriander leaves, 2 egg whites and 1/2 cup uncooked oats into a food processor
- Blend till everything is well mixed and reaches a thick, paste-like consistency
- Apply this paste to freshly cleansed face; let is sit for 10-15 minutes or until it hardens, then rinse off
Blackhead-busting coriander spot treatment
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of coriander juice and lime juice
- Apply on affected areas; leave for at least an hour, then wash off with warm water
Banish those moles coriander salve
- Grind coriander seeds into a pulp using a mortar & pestle or food processor
- Apply the pulp to your mole; cover with a bandage and leave for approximately an hour
- Wash off with a gentle cleanser and moisturize as usual. You should start to see the mole lighten after 10 days. This treatment is safe to use daily and leave longer than one hour, if desired
Getting lippy coriander balm
- Prepare a mixture of 2 teaspoons of coriander juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Apply this all over the lips and leave overnight. Wash off next morning and repeat the same for a few days to reveal smooth pink lips
- Make a paste of coriander seeds with a little bit of water and a teaspoon of honey
- Apply this paste over the itchy skin for instant relief
Healing coriander body oil
- Soak 1 tablespoon powdered coriander seeds in 1 cup of sunflower, almond or olive oil; let infuse for a week
- Apply this oil all over your body at night, especially concentrating on areas that have been sunburnt, wounded or scarred; repeat daily
Stop the hair loss coriander oil
- Add 1 tablespoon powdered coriander seeds to your hair oil and let them infuse for a week
- Use this infused oil to massage your scalp at least twice a week. This will prevent further hair fall and help stimulate the roots for growth of new hair
Coriander detox remedy
- Boil 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds in half a litre of water and add a teaspoon of sugar or honey
- Drink the mixture when it is still warm; repeat thrice a day
My top 10: Coriander-based beauty products
If you prefer off-the-shelf beauty products to DIY home recipes, these are the ones that top the charts!
Have you ever tried a coriander-based beauty product or treatment? What was your experience?