Is there a way in which you could snack through the day and get the munchies to actually have a great effect on your skin? And body? And hair? Dr. Perricone – he of the celebrity clients (think Gwyneth Paltrow and Eva Mendes) and game-changing concepts like The Clear Skin Prescription and The Wrinkle Cure – says it’s completely possible. And you don’t even need to sacrifice deliciousness for nutrition in his quick-and-easy Greek Yogurt & Spinach Dip recipe, which is adapted from the Persian dish Borani Esfanaaj and made entirely from gorgeousness-inducing ingredients like:
- Chives/Scallions: The high levels of flavanoids, calcium, vitamin C, B6, germanium, potassium and magnesium make this an ideal food for fighting dry skin
- Dill: Helps maintain healthy mucus membranes and skin
- Spinach: Zinc content helps keep skin clear of acne breakouts
- Lemon juice: Detoxifying and diuretic
- Greek yogurt: Excellent source of probiotics and protein.
- Feta: A high protein, lower calorie cheese, excellent source of calcium for bone health
- Walnuts: Rich in Omega-3s for glossy hair and supple skin, walnuts increase endothelial blood flow, thereby also improving and preventing the look of broken capillaries
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 16 oz package of fresh spinach leaves (if using frozen, defrost and drain excess water)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt (non-fat or low-fat)
- a handful of crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- a handful of crumbled walnuts for the top
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the spinach and cook it with half a minced garlic clove in a little olive oil until fragrant. Set aside and drain water.
2. When the spinach has cooled, add the remaining raw garlic and the rest of the ingredients. Mix thoroughly with the yogurt.
3. Serve in a flat dish appropriate for dipping; sprinkle with walnut pieces.
4. Optional: add salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle with a little olive oil just before serving.
Serve with crudités, flax-seed bread, chilled cucumbers, crackers, chips, bread or even as the filling for stuffed chicken breasts.
Trying it tonight? What are your secret beauty food recipes?