Ever since she shimmied and shook her way into our hearts with Zou Bisou Bisou in the last season of Mad Men, Megan Draper has captivated a legion of makeup-obsessed fans. That’s because Don Draper’s French-Canadian wife is the woman of the future. And she is the first girl on the show we can picture hanging out with in real life. Megan is intelligent, stylish, multi-talented and cooks spaghetti minus the sauce for dinner every night. She worries about her reputation at work. She talks back to Don.
And, oh yeah, there’s her makeup. “The inspiration for Megan Draper drew from a combination of Twiggy and Sophia Loren,” explains Mad Men Makeup Department Head Lana Horochowski. “We thought of French and Italian actresses who had iconic looks. Megan is a little more high fashion in her approach to makeup compared to the other girls because she’s a lot younger – their makeup stays pretty consistent.”
No wonder that men want her and women want to be her. Thankfully, becoming the infamous Mrs. Draper is rather simple with this behind-the-scenes reveal of what goes into recreating her bombshell glamour with exaggerated cat eyes and almost-nude lips (although the gap-toothed smile cannot be emulated).
Megan Draper’s complexion
2. Sweep on Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting Powder all over your face and neck with a powder brush. This will give a pretty, matte finish like Megan’s without looking flat or chalky.
3. Blend a peachy blush like Estee Lauder Mad Men Collection Rouge Blush in Evening Rose onto the apples of your cheeks for an I-just-worked-out flush.
Megan Draper’s eye makeup
4. The Mad Men beauty team created Megan’s signature look with a winning combination of white cream-based eyeshadow and a touch of blue shadow. Follow in their footsteps by sweeping MAC shadow in Gesso-Vivid White over the eyelid and into the brow area.
5. Then apply NARS shadow in Heart of Glass in the crease – it should look like a semi-circle when your eyes are closed (this is inspired by the ’60s, after all!).
6. Take a jet black liner – like MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel in Blacktrack – and carefully paint a thin line from the inner corner of your top eyelid all the way out to your temple. Trace over the line with your brush until it’s 2-3 centimeters thick.
7. Repeat this on your lower lash line, aiming for a 1-2 centimeter thickness.
8. Put in your fave false lashes; add a dramatically thick coat of Dior Diorshow Waterproof Mascara on the top and bottom lashes.
9. Use Kevyn Acoin’s Eyebrow Pencil to darken the brows. This is subtle but makes a world of difference in solidifying the Megan Draper look.
10. Fill in your lips with a peach-nude lip pencil, then layer on a satin-finish lipstick that’s a shade lighter than your actual lips. Megan’s pick: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Belle du Jour and Lancome L’Absolu Rouge Lipstick in Voile de Rose.
Megan Draper’s strand style
11. Apply a good volumiser like Shu Uemura Volume Maker Invisible Texturising Powder all over your roots to add texture and volume; fluff it around at the root with your fingers until you can’t see the powder.
12. Tease the spot you want to volumise with a comb.
13. Finally, take the piece of hair right in front and smooth it over the little mound you have created with the comb teasing. Strategically place some bobby pins and you’re set!
Megan Draper’s finishing touches
14. Paint your digits a fiery orange like Deborah Lippman Nail Polish in Lara’s Theme.
15. Spray on Guy Laroche Fidji perfume everywhere “you want to be kissed”.
Now, stash your keys and cards in a pretty purse like the Miu Miu velvet clutch, put on some quirky eyewear (like Kate Spade Angelique sunglasses), the glittery Ice Dome cocktail ring and Megan’s signature Michael Kors chain necklace… and head out to find your own Don!