Some poor souls think fashion weeks are all about the clothes. You and I know better: that a kick-ass fashion week is actually more about the makeup and hair, which after all are far easier to recreate than some of those beyond-size-zero clothes. Right? So, here’s the first edition of The Beauty Gypsy’s live reportage from New York Fashion Week’s Fall 2014 edition, complete with top pointers for achieving faux perfection from some of the best makeup artists in the business. Put them into action and you’ll feel red-carpet ready yourself.
- To make your eyes look bigger, apply beige eye liner to the wet line. It looks far more natural and softer than white liner.
- To really bring out the colour of your eyes, use a glitter eye pencil on the inner corners of your eyes.
- If you have wimpy fringe, try this powerful combo: curl lashes, then apply a coat of volumising mascara. Let it dry, and follow with a layer of lengthening formula. The combo will fatten and elongate your lashes better than most all-in-one formulas.
- For a custom-made tinted lip balm, melt together Vaseline and some lipstick and store in little pot or container. This is also a great way to use up your old lipstick!
- To look truly sun kissed, sweep bronzer over the high points of your face and then layer on a highlighter over the top. This is how models get that fresh and glowing complexion!
- Want the most gorgeous glitter-marble nails? Sandwich a layer of glitter nail polish (preferably with a clear base) between two coats of colour. Similarly, for matte effect nails, add a sprinkle of cornstarch to your clear nail polish.
- Speed up the drying process by placing a small drop of olive oil on the surface of each freshly painted fingernail. This will also protect your fresh manicure from accidental smudges.