There is this point in the year – every single year – when I I get a little, um, flakey. Yes, for a couple of weeks each year, my scalp goes through a seasonal transition and I start noticing dandruff – and in my dark hair, it’s pretty obvious. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I am not alone. Experts estimate that up to 90 percent of human beings will experience dandruff at some time in their lives. And there is a whole industry out there at work to help you find a solution.
But what if you’re looking for a gentle, non-chemical alternative? One that’s not a sad, stinky concoction of chemicals? Which doesn’t kill your hair while fighting the flakes? Walk through these all-natural DIY dandruff remedies and be prepared to raid your kitchen for some vinegar, lemons and salt. And don’t worry, you don’t need all these ingredients at once… just choose your potion and repeat weekly.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Massage it into your scalp; leave on for 20 minutes, then shampoo and condition normally.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 4 tablespoons of gram flour; add enough water to make a thick paste. Massage this paste onto your scalp and leave it on for approximately 30 minutes before shampooing.
- Mix one part of fresh lemon juice with two parts of warm coconut oil. Massage this mixture onto your scalp; leave on for at least an hour before you shampoo. Added bonus: this dandruff remedy also helps premature greying.
- Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) to a cup of warm water. Rinse your hair with this mixture after shampooing. It will help treat dandruff, dissolve excess oil deposits on your scalp, strip out any shampoo or styling product residue from your hair and infuse the shine back into dull strands.
Dandruff remedies for dry scalps
- Combine 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil with 1/2 teaspoon of tea tree oil and massage into wet hair. Leave on for half an hour, then shampoo and condition normally.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of plain salt with 1 cup of yogurt; massage into your scalp. Leave for half an hour, then rinse your hair with plain water.
- Massage a warm mixture of equal quantities mustard and almond oils into your scalp. Leave this on for at least and hour, then shampoo as normal. This dandruff remedy also effectively treats hair loss.