I did a post on acne (What is your acne telling you?) and the role that various bits and bobs of our bodies play in its horrid takeover of our faces.
Amongst the 567572436987 visitors who stopped by this post, over 40% wrote in to say that they have pinpointed much of their spottiness to a lack of adequate water.
Which makes sense.
Water is not called the ‘source of life’ for nothing. It is crucial for every body function, right from metabolising fat and regulating temperature to facilitating important bio-chemical reactions, lubricating the joints and limbs, aiding digestion, hydrating the skin and helping the body flush out waste and toxins.
So, it stands to reason that without regular top-ups, our skin (actually our whole body) will go into crisis mode. The simplest solution? DRINK MORE WATER!
Yet, 99% of us don’t heed this advice.
H2O is bland, it’s boring, it’s always “just there”… maybe if water becomes more expensive, we will start paying more attention!
But till then, I would be the first to admit that sometimes drinking the requisite “8 glasses” (find out exactly how much water you need in this questionnaire) can be a real challenge!
So, after much interviewing, thinking, researching and experimenting, here are 10 tips on how to drink more water (and I have personally tested every one of them — they work stupendously!).
Take a look, put them in practise every single day, and then tell us the sneaky ways YOU trick yourself into drinking more water in the comments. We could all use the help!
Drink your water! Stay well hydrated! Stay healthy! Stay pretty!
How to drink more water
1. Add two glasses of drinking water to your daily skincare regimen: Drink, cleanse, moisturise, then drink again.
2. Don’t purchase any other drinks: Let’s face it, if you have your favourite soda chilling in the fridge, are you honestly going to opt for water?
3. Drink at least one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you down. (It’s not only a great way to drink more water, it’s also terrific at preventing that hangover!)
4. Set an alarm to beep every hour — this is your reminder to down a glass of water. If you drink only small (6 ounce or 180 ml) cup per hour, you will consume 48 ounces (1.4 liters) in an 8-hour workday.
5. Eat water-rich foods, such as watermelons, which are 92% water. A tomato is 95% water, while an egg is 74% water.
6. Add ice or freeze water in a sports bottle before taking it with you. It will eventually melt and stay cold.
7. Purchase a water bottle that holds the amount of water you need to drink each day, or use a combination of 33 ounce (approximately) 1-liter and 17 ounce (half-liter bottles). This will allow you to see exactly how much water you are consuming on a regular basis.
8. Fill a glass jar with water, pop in some fruit-infused tea bags in a glass jar and place it in the sun for naturally brewed tea that has an intense flavour. Drink it chilled for loads of flavour and antioxidant protection.
9. Prefer a sweet sip to plain ol’ water? Fill 1/4 of your glass with 100% fruit juice and top off with water or seltzer.
10. Bring a touch of the exotic: Add mint leaves, slices of apples, strawberries, lemons or limes to a pitcher of water; serve chilled. Keep a jug in the fridge so you always have great-tasting and great-looking H2O available. For an even greater kick, drink it out of champagne flutes!